The days have finally come where I will pursue my independence on 2 wheels. Remember, being single is not a status, but a word that describes a person who is strong enough to live and enjoy life without depending on others if it be easier or more challenging. I’ve chosen a dual sport motorcycle for many various reasons.
“Zeus”, a 1986 Subaru Brat may be the ideal way of transportation and certainly when it retrieves a motorbike round trip in the heart of Tacoma, Washington for a 5 hr drive. Big thanks to Joanna for giving me the privilege in using and restoring this iconic Subaru Brat in the coming years.
With Zeus, both are designed and capable of driving on pavement or off road. The top advantage of having this type of motorbike is due to its agility and being lightweight on the road and trails. By traveling on 2 wheels, one will never be riding on the same dirt they came from with its wide range of tight areas to explore. The Pacific Northwest could not be a better place to start exploring unless we were in Australia, South America, Asia, or Europe!
These types of motorcycles are also less likely to get damages when crashed or used overtime. They can be handled easily even in the roughest roads including sand, steep inclines, rocks, single tracks and whoops.
5 Reasons in choosing a Dual Sport.
1. Makes one more attuned and alert to the present environment and surroundings
a. When we drive a car, we sit in a sedentary manner. Navigating a motorcycle requires more work, physically and mentally, which activates the prefrontal areas of the brain. In lay terms, this means riding keeps your brain functioning at its current prime and helps establish higher levels of concentration.
2. A form of gaining a full body workout. The muscle use and energy required to maneuver a motorcycle help make the abdominal muscles stronger. Riders must use their bodies to help safely balance and steer. This demands use of nearly every muscle, which, over time, improves muscle tone!
3. More fuel efficient reaching 70 miles per gallon (4 litres per 100 kms)
4. 2 Wheel maneuvering capability offroad
5. The challenge in packing minimal with personal gear/tools for a 3-5 day trip.
Why I chose the Yahama WR250R Dual Sport
1. Fuel Injection!
2. Fully adjustable front & rear suspension
3. 6-speed, smooth transmission at higher speeds
4. Mega watt alternator, 350W
5. Light-weight & nimble (300lbs)
6. Long maintenance intervals – 3k miles for oil, 26k for valve adjustment
7. Aftermarket parts to make it even better of an adventure bike (3.7 Gallon Safari tank, luggage racks, skid plates
8. Proven to last – Some seen reaching over 60,000 miles!
For those of us with a level head, motorcycling is potentially dangerous, and if you doubt that and do not ride defensively and reasonably, while wearing the right riding gear for the environment, you can expect to hear your friends and family’s resounding, “I told you those things are dangerous!”
If you want a five-muscle group exercise machine and an incentive for staying in good physical condition, a dual sport and dirt trails and open desert riding will do the trick!